Sunday, November 30, 2008

An Idea for Teaching the True Meaning of Christmas

When my children were very young, my mother (who happened to be the best children’s ministry leader I ever knew and the one who taught me everything I know about teaching) gave us a Christmas calendar to use with our children. So, beginning with December 1st, every night right after supper we would gather together as a family and open another door on the calendar. Behind each door was some new information about the story of Jesus coming to earth, along with a related biblical reference. Most nights we would also read the Bible passage, too, so our children could see for themselves how wonderful God’s Word is.

Our children were excited to open a new door each night and to learn another part of the Christmas story. It was exciting for me as a parent, too, to have the opportunity to share God’s Word with my children. It also led to many family discussions about the wonderful story of Christmas.

I learned several things through this. First, it was another lesson from my personal mentor in teaching, my Mom, about how to help children learn. We aren’t all fortunate to have professional educators as parents, but as parents we can all help encourage our children in the ministry God has called them to fulfill. My passion for teaching today is in direct relation to seeing and hearing my Mom’s desire to help people learn.

I also learned that children like to be involved. Learning is ACTIVE, not PASSIVE. Each of us, whether children, youth, or adult, need to be actively involved in order to learn. That’s why my children loved the Christmas Calendar. They could be involved in opening the door and reading what was behind it.

So, whether you are teaching formally this Christmas season, in Sunday School, children’s or youth ministries, or leading an adult small group, or teaching your neighbors or your own family, make it fun this year. Give everyone an opportunity to discover the wonderful truth of Christmas, “God With Us”. And go buy a Christmas Calendar, you’ll be glad you did!

I’ve been putting together the workshop schedule this week for our annual Midwest Teaching & Discipleship Convention next March. As you know, our theme this year is “passing the torch of God’s truth from generation to generation”. We have a number of the leaders of multi-generational learning leading workshops, individuals who literally travel around the world helping families teach and disciple their children, people like Rob Rienow, Greg Carlson, Vance Frusher, Mickie O’Donnell, Brent Amato. You will not want to miss this special opportunity. Keep checking the GCSSA web site for early registration savings opportunities.

-Paul

Paul J. Loth, Ed.D.
Executive Director
GCSSA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This year I took the Playmobile Nativity set and divided it up into 25 baggies so we can give one each day to our two year old (nearly 3) so he can be a part of learning the Christmas story every day. He will get to play the story every day, withe another element to add each day. Starts tonight, I can't wait!