Monday, November 24, 2008

I’m Thankful for the Person Who Discipled Me

At this time of year we always stop and think of all the things we’re thankful for. Every year on Thanksgiving morning at our church the congregation gathers together and gives thanks publicly for how God has blessed us.

Well, this year, I want to stop and give thanks for the person who discipled me and taught me to follow Christ, the one who passed the torch of God’s truth from his generation to me. What an honor he gave me by teaching me what God taught him. And what a challenge he communicated by passing on the torch of God’s truth.

It is very contemporary nowadays to emphasize the family as the place where discipleship should take place and to honor the parents as a child’s primary spiritual teachers. That was not new to me. My parents were always my primary spiritual mentors and teachers. Even as a seminary student, I remember sharing ideas with my father and feasting on his response as much or even more than my seminary professors.

As I drove away from the hospital three years ago after saying goodbye to my Dad for the final time on earth, I remember such a feeling of loneliness because my spiritual guide was gone. May all of us who are fathers and mothers take seriously our God-given responsibilities to be our children’s spiritual mentors and guides.

Jesus was very clear about it. We make disciples by TEACHING. And there are many ways to teach. Sometimes my Dad read Scripture to me and explained the background and meaning of the passage. Other times he answered my questions when I was confused.

And then there were the times that he had to remind me that I had left the path of following Christ and I needed to get back on the right track. And how I miss those long walks and talks in which my spiritual mentor let me see his heart and his close walk with Christ and he could tell me to follow him as he followed Christ.

So when you spend time with your children this holiday season, be their spiritual teacher and guide, pointing them closer to Christ as His disciples. Guide them spiritually in both what you say and the example you live. And, if you are honored by being able to minister as a teacher in your church ministry, be the kind of teacher who makes disciples. Invest yourself in your students’ lives. Yes, teach them the content of God’s Word so they understand it, but also answer their questions and challenge them in their walk with Christ. But, most importantly, demonstrate to them how to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.

Our keynote speaker at the convention this year is Bryan Loritts. Pastor Loritts’ father is Crawford Loritts, someone who has also spoken at GCSSA conventions in the past. Bryan Loritts identifies his dad as the most significant spiritual influence in his life. Pastor Loritts’ church in Memphis is a perfect example of a church serious about making disciples. So he is both a product of discipleship and a discipler himself. He has a message we all need to hear. You will not want to miss hearing him.

-Paul

Paul J. Loth, Ed.D.
Executive Director
GCSSA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Paul...a great example of how to disciple.